Reading Challenges

November 24, 2010

Camilla Läckberg's The Ice Princess

While I'm on a Scandinavian thriller jag, I should add Camilla Läckberg's The Ice Princess to my list of recently read nordic crime novels.  I never used to consider myself a thriller kind of gal until Stieg Larsson's books came into my life.  Since then, Swedish writers have made me fall hook, line and sinker for their take on the highly politicized murders and cold cases from their...well, cold country.  Lackberg is another fine example of a Swedish writer who uses her hometown (in this case, Fjällbacka)--from its climatic patterns to its socio-political terrain--to shape a mystery in intimate detail.  I look forward to reading the follow-up novel, The Preacher.



Many of the Swedish thrillers I've read share a similar interest for discussing themes related to social concerns for women, immigrants and the rise of right-wing extremism encapsulated within a winter landscape that renders life challenging, providing enough darkness to hide in the shadows and enough snow to bury secrets undetected.  Moreover, the idea of one's past actions resurfacing years later to negative effect are central in the stories of Läckberg and Larsson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...