November 29, 2011

Where in the World...?

Where in the world have I been? My loong blogging hiatus was not intentional, but life and travels (Hong Kong & Vietnam) really haven't left me much time for checking in or writing reviews. I'm looking forward to getting caught up with everyone else's blog posts and writing a few of my own. For the time being, here's a list of books I've finished recently:

Bleak House - Charles Dickens (special marks for this one--and I'm currently geeking out over the 2005 BBC mini-series!).

Hanoi Stories - Pamela Scott (a nice memoir of an Australian expat's eight years spent in Vietnam).

Portuguese Irregular Verbs - Alexander McCall Smith (this one gave me quite a chuckle).

I'm currently devouring Lady Audley's Secret, part of the progression of works I'm reading in relation to the audio course I completed earlier this year, Detective Fiction: From the Victorian Era to the Present. Bleak House is said to be one of the first novels to feature an investigator (Investigator Bucket) and Lady Audley's Secret is a close cousin of early detective fiction, belonging to the genre of the sensationalist novel (like The Woman in White, also read earlier this year). Next on this list is another work by Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone, considered by many to be the first mystery novel.


I hope to be back on track with regular blogging as of now, but we'll see what life throws my way! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...