Reading Challenges

December 5, 2011

Reading in the Christmas Spirit


Here in France the bakeries have begun to roll out their gorgeous bûches de Noël (Christmas log cakes), thus I know it's time to get ready for the holidays and put up our tree. Although we don't celebrate Christmas in the religious sense, I do pine for those cozy childhood holidays of years past when glistening decorations captured my imagination and warm meals surrounded by the camaraderie of family and friends left me feeling warm and festive (how's that for cliché? but all true, I assure you!). Last year I ushered in the holidays by reading Dicken's A Christmas Carol. It's short enough that I might just make an annual tradition of it, but this year I also plan to read the same author's other Christmas tales, A Christmas Dinner, The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, etc. 
Other books I've considered reading this December include:

Louisa May Alcott's Christmas stories

Truman Capote's story A Christmas Memory, which I remember studying in middle school..."it's fruitcake weather Mr. Haha!"

re-reading Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot's Christmas

A Canterbury Crime by Brian Kavanagh (which I'm told is set at Christmas time)

Do you have any holiday favorites to recommend? I'm mostly interested in classics, particularly Victorian literature that captures the mood of Christmas celebrations, but as a mystery  lover, I can never pass up a holiday-themed whodunit! Other winter holiday book suggestions are welcome as well.

I hope you all enjoy a festive holiday season filled with friends, family and good cheer! As for me, in addition to books, I will be devouring at least one of the following:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...